Friday, August 16, 2013

Bug Blitzkrieg

I arrived in Nice all safe and sound, but as yet have not explored much outside of the village-esque "resort" I currently reside in (about an hour outside of Nice). A cute little hamlet of crowded cottages overlooks billowing mountainous terrain. What appears to be most akin to a small trailer home, the cottage is anything but trashy. I have the sweetest little room to myself, full use of the kitchen, tiny living room, and outdoor lounge area (which really is quite substantial). The shower is also outdoors, but since the weather has been nothing less than perfect lately and it has hot running water, I can't say that my anti-wilderness instincts have remotely come into play. And the best part, of course, is the rather impressive swimming pool and community house with two small restaurants, various evening events (apparently last night there was salsa dancing and tonight some sort of "Bubbles Party" wherein which I was told I have to be naked, though not sure if that was a joke ; ), small convenience store, and of course, wifi... After my morning of teaching (3 hours total to 2 students) I am free to run about on my own. Pictures to follow but in the meantime, I take liberty to describe my greatest challenge thus far...

Since stepping foot in France, I seem to be accosted by insects. Flies and bees mainly, but let me impress upon you all the fact that these are no ordinary pests. I am quite convinced that they have latched onto some sort of insectual-magnetism that I alone possess. Perhaps it is my oh so sweet nature, the blossoming fragrance from my blonde locks, or the many flowers that tend to pattern my pretty frocks, but they seek me out and stalk me all day long. The two lunches that I have been able to enjoy on my own in France have both been in the company of a droning bee bent on prowling around my food. If this were medieval times, I might assume the bee to be an Assayer, tasting my food as he would a queen or king to prevent me from being poisoned, but I don't think I'm so lucky. Meanwhile, almost every night I seem to have a fly swarming around with the loudest blaring Bzzzzz I have ever heard, dive bombing around my room and absolutely refusing to take the glaring exit strategy through the window... Sadly, I killed one... May he or she rest in peace... Perhaps they are gearing up for revenge but I couldn't handle the soundtrack any longer... RIP little fly, RIP...

No comments:

Post a Comment