Friday, June 19, 2015

Floating and Feasting

One of my favorite days with my father and stepmother during there visit was on a lovely sunday afternoon. The weather was perfect, blue skies, fluffy white clouds, and dry warmth enveloping us all in the breeze. Our primary objective for the afternoon was a hot air balloon ride at Parc André-Citroën, a beautiful spot in south western Paris. The park is so called because it is on the sight of what was once the Citroën automobile manufacturing plant. There is certainly some lingering industrial architecture, but for the most part the green lawn is a perfect picnicking spot, fountains and canals surrounding the green, and right in the center is a very large hot air balloon. I have never been in a hot air balloon, and while this one is tethered to the ground, it is still a thrilling experience to fly up above Paris. I was surprised at how few people were queued up to enjoy this satisfying spectacle, particularly on such a stunning day. However, since not many people can be taken up at once, I was quite content not to have to wait in line too long. Once we set off into the blue sky, I was amazed at how glorious the view was. We could see the Seine, the Eiffel Tower, pretty much all that Paris has to offer for what seemed like miles. For the reasonable price of only €12, I would absolutely recommend this experience to any Parisian traveler. 

After the grand event, we headed back up to Montmartre to wander a bit and eventually make dinner in their cute little airbnb. Over the past two years, I have developed what I consider to be a rather scrumptious way of cooking salmon and I volunteered to prepare a meal for my dear guests. Since I also don't have anything resembling a real kitchen in my own apartment, I take every opportunity to relish in a full-sized stove, sink, and various accoutrements. I made my salmon over a bed of basmati rice, we also cooked up some delicious chicken sausages, I sautéed some crisp asparagus and we had rather a feast of flavors with our daily dose of wine. The two parentals had picked up some exquisite Parisian pastries for dessert, and we all ended the day in a happy haze of post-balloon euphoria and effective food coma.





































No comments:

Post a Comment