Tuesday, January 6, 2015

Nostalgia and New

Since coming to France for the first time about three years ago, I generally crash with my brother and sister-in-law when I go home to the States for any length of time. One reason for this is because they are awesome, much more like good friends than just relatives (something that no, I will not admit to more than once a year ; ). Another reason being that I am rightfully obsessed with my nephew and love being able to spend as much time as possible with him when I can. A fair and rather lucky exchange for hosting me is that I am more than willing to babysit for an afternoon or evening at the very least so that the happy couple can frolic out into the city on their own for a bit. This time around allowed them the opportunity to have a fancy brunch and do some last minute Christmas shopping while Baby Boo and I settled in for an afternoon of fun. We played some games, watched a Christmas special, but most importantly spent some time drawing and coloring an almost life-sized Christmas tree... That is, life-sized if compared to the one featured in a Charlie Brown Christmas. After that we hit up the park for a while where wee man was his stunning self once again, walking up to perfect strangers while playing hide and go seek and asking if they knew where Auntie La was... Perfection. Since it was mostly freezing cold out, I cut our park adventure short but made up for it by buying him a cookie at a nearby bakery before returning home.

It turned into a family-oriented, stay-at-home day in the end, something I was rather grateful for when all was said and done because the jetlag was holding on strong, day two often wreaking havoc much more intensely than day one. I was scheduled to meet a couple of friends from my restaurant days, but after confusion with time and place, it just wouldn't have been possible without an hour and a half commute, something I couldn't deem reasonable in my hazy state. Instead, I hunkered down in the apartment, as some of my bro and sis-in-law's friends straggled in for movie watching and pizza. Because I couldn't wrap my brain around cheesy carbs that night, I ordered myself some Chinese soup, and stayed awake just long enough to see a new timeless family Christmas classic entitled AD/BC. It is ridiculous, it is a musical, and it is available here on youtube... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OqygOjPNIoY... That is how much I love it. 

Needless to say, I was in bed by 10pm, slept until about 9am the next morning, and slowly made my way into eastern standard time. The next day, I accompanied the fam to the park, where my brother took baby nephew to play, and sissy-soo and I indulged in some well deserved manicures. I made it home in time to shower and rush into Manhattan, where I was going to see a kid's singing group that one of my best friends created. It was a true blast from the past, not just because I used to help out with the group in various ways, but also because the venue they sang at was a place I frequented in my younger more irresponsible days just post-college. The Bitter End down on Bleecker Street was my home away from home, as my roommates and I went almost weekly my first year living in NYC to stalk our guy friends' band. I have more than one memory of crashing at their apartment in the East Village after being out until 5am and switching shirts with my roommate in the morning so that I didn't have to wear exactly the same outfit to work two days in a row. Ah, the joys of youth.

My weekend ended on a wave of taste sensation, dining in one of my all time favorite restaurants in NYC. I met two of my good friends from Nespresso days for some decadent fondue at The Bourgeois Pig. Yes, I did say that I was intent on staying away from French cuisine and large amounts of standalone cheese, but honestly, this establishment transcends definition. It's a small little hidey hole of a place, decked out in gothic statues and plush red upholstery. They have half-price bottles of wine early in the week, and a wide variety of both entrée and dessert fondues. Unfortunately, they are in the middle of transitioning to a new location so that their menu was pretty limited, but it certainly didn't stop my friends and I from having a truly delicious repast and ending my night in nostalgic bliss.












No comments:

Post a Comment